Technical Support Engineer
Reports to: Head of Technical & Customer Support
Location: HQ, Newark California
Individual contributor role responsible for troubleshooting, service and support, research and analysis for our customers with the use of ShotSpotter technologies. Creates, analyses and delivers forensic audio reports in written format to customers and to the court in the role of expert witness.
• Provides the customer with a legal, evidentiary document/report that describes in detail, all of the timing and location elements of one or multiple ShotSpotter incidents as well as providing an overview of a system’s history, descriptions of how the system works, mitigating factors, and important caveats
• Serve as an expert witness in criminal court cases as a testifying witness, with regards to forensic reports generated using your expertise
• Provide end user support for technical issues reported with our end user applications and services, investigate questions from customer on gunshots reported, generate customer reports and triage and repair any system issues with other teams within ShotSpotter
• Provide investigative and consultative support for gunshot incidents
• Compose Technical Support Bulletins and communicate proactively with customers regarding upcoming service and support issues
• Generate written notifications and communications with customers in response to issues
• Monitor acoustic surveillance systems status and report errors, faulty equipment, and other system problems
• Maintain activity logs relative to system performance, gunfire incidents, and other system metrics
• Maintain liaison with responding law enforcement agencies and provide additional incident information efforts by acquiring, minimizing, searching and producing electronic forensic evidence for legal counsel and possibly serving as an expert witness as needed
• Will serve as an expert or expert witness in criminal court cases. Affidavit, deposition & testifying experience would be ideal but not required.
• Log all relevant customer support incidents in ticket tracking system
• Follow case management procedures including updating tickets, updating customer, escalating issues and work as a team to coordinate resources to resolve an issue
• Public Speaking is a comfortable task.
• Ability to present technical information to groups, in a trial setting, in a manner that can be understood by any level of competence
• Self-starter with a proven track record of driving customer success and aligning in complex customer environments as well as reporting into the executive and department levels
• Bias to making those around you successful and are comfortable working as a team player and mentor
• Proactive and ability to anticipate customer needs and requirements
• Contribute to building and maintaining a positive, can-do, high-performance culture
• Ability to understand deep customer requirements
• Ability to articulate and communicate product features and information for new releases and updates to the customer base
• Fanatical about customer success and tenacious at driving long-term customer value
• Highly data-driven with a commitment to process
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong multi-task ability and must be able to work on multiple reports and engagement projects at once, working across several time zones, law enforcement agencies, attorneys, sales people and markets perhaps all in the same day
• Working knowledge of SQL queries, writing queries, etc.
• Familiarity with Audacity, Wavelet Sound Explorer, or similar audio analysis tools
• Working to strong knowledge of LAN/WAN and wireless technologies
• Strong working knowledge of Salesforce, Netsuite, CRMs technologies
• Strong knowledge of audio and acoustic characteristics
• Working knowledge of Google Earth, arc map, ESRI data tools, etc.
• Expert level knowledge of MS Office suite
• Working knowledge of bug tracking tools such as JIRA, Bugzilla, etc.
• Working knowledge and expertise with on-line tools, intranets, wikis, report writers, etc.
• Passionate about and committed to customer delight!
• Affidavit, deposition & testifying experience would be ideal
• Working knowledge of admissibility rules of evidence
• Familiarity with law enforcement best practices is nice to have but not required
• 10-15 years of experience in the customer service/success technical support field
• Moderate to heavy over-night travel may be required, often with short notice
About ShotSpotter, Inc.
ShotSpotter is the global leader in gunfire detection and location technology. ShotSpotter's solutions help law enforcement officials and security personnel identify, locate and deter gun violence. ShotSpotter is based in Newark, California and offers its solutions on a SaaS-based subscription model to customers around the world, with current customers located in the United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and South Africa.